Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Do You Remember ...?

Yesterday, my son handed me the keys to the car and asked, "Do you remember how to drive?"

For 22 years, I have been chauffeuring.I drove my kids to doctor's appointments, school events (LOTS of school events), church activities, grocery store, and wherever else we needed to go.

Although not particularly excited about it, I insisted that my son finally get his driver's license this summer.  He had so many activities he wanted to participate in, (band, band, and more band) that I would have been picking him up and dropping him off almost every day.  Oftentimes, it would be several trips a day.

I am so happy that he is a very conscientious driver.  In fact, he is very quick to mention the least little infraction.  Do not go over the speed limit, even one mile, if he is in the car!

I gave him his own key and told him to take good care of the car, because it was the only graduation present I could give him, when he went off to college.

Since that day, there has definitely been a role reversal.  He drives me where I need to go.  In fact, it actually makes it easier, and faster, if I just give him the shopping list and send him to the store.

Both of my children are glad that I do not drive very much any longer.  I must confess that I am not the best driver.  With hand controls and CP, my reaction time is slower.

So, the only reason I have the keys is because Steven was going to be out of town for a few days. I didn't want to leave the car at the school, or be without transportation, just in case.  It really doesn't make that much difference, since I rarely go anywhere.

Another day and he will be wanting the keys back.  How did my "babies" grow up so fast?

No comments:

Post a Comment