Sunday, August 10, 2014

Under the Black Flag

Yesterday, we sailed away, under the black flag of The Pirates of Penzance.

My mom, aunt and I enjoyed the matinee performance of the community theatre.  The cast included preschoolers, students, adults, parents, and probably even grandparents.  They have been working hard for weeks to get ready.

During the final casting call, my son was asked to join the orchestra pit.  They needed a trumpet player, and another member of the pit crew knew he would fit the bill. Less than an hour later, after being asked to rush down to the school, he became part of his first musical theatre performance.

Since the pit was also part of the set, the musicians also had to be in costume.  Much to his relief, he did not have to wear makeup, because he was in the back row.  But, he had a marvelous time, with all of the cast and crew.  
Believe it or not, that is his real hair.  He isn't allowed to cut it, until after the final performance next weekend.

The pit crew included both students, adults, and community members, just like the cast.

The Pirates of Penzance is a nonsensical (isn't that a fun word?) musical that is a love story of sorts.  It is hard to say exactly, because much of the play is just fun.

For me, it also became an opportunity to meet other parents and cast members.  I wouldn't have this close up of my son, but for a nice women who was also there to support her son and watch his performance.

Her son was king of the pirates.  He was great!  I have seen him act before.  In talking to his mom, he is interested in pursuing the preforming arts, as mine wants to continue with his music.

It was so kind of her to friend me on FaceBook and take pictures of my son as well.

Even before the musical started, I experienced the kindness of a stranger, (aka. a friend I haven't met yet).  When I went to pay for my ticket, one of the mom's was standing there with extra tickets in her hand.  Although it would have been worth much more than the charge of admission, and I would have gladly paid, she offered me one of her extra tickets.  (There are still some very kind and caring people in this world.)

As a side-note, the pirate king's mother asked my son for his autograph, after the performance.  (his first)
If you are local, it is well-worth the $5 cost of admission.  You still have 3 chances to sail under the black flag of fun-7pm next Friday, and 1pm and 7pm next Saturday, in the north campus auditorium.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you blogging again--and glad you told me about this play. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. Although I can't promise to faithfully blog every day, I will try to do better. (Even on the boring days. ) :)

      Delete