Thursday, August 28, 2014

A Bit of Adventure and a Smidgen of Bravery

Today was a bit of adventure.  It was the first time I went out shopping with my electric wheelchair.

Now, it might not seem like a big deal to some; but, I am usually with someone, have my manual chair, and my own car.

First, I went to have a bagel for brunch with a wonderful lady. Then, we buzzed over to a craft store.  After visiting and looking at stuff, it was time from my friend to go.  But, I wasn't done yet.

I needed to go to the pet store and pick up some soft doggy food.  My furry companion is having dental surgery tomorrow.  Actually, he is having his teeth cleaned.  Some are likely to fall out; still others may need extracting.  He will definitely not feel up to his hard nuggets for a bit.

When I rolled into the store, a nice worker asked what I was looking for, and walked with me to get what I needed.  When I made the purchase, the clerk was kind enough to put the cans in the backpack on the back of my chair.

Of course, Hastings bookstore and coffee shop was right next door.  Well, I knew I would have to wait a bit for the senior bus to come get me.  So I went and got a peach/mango smoothie to pass the time.  Yum!  I probably haven't had that flavor for a couple of years.

I did have to wait quite a while for the wheelchair accessible ride.  During the lunch hour, they are booked solid.  It was a nice day, so I got some vitamin D, while watching people come and go.

I did feel rather conspicuous.  But, I had my smoothie and my Kindle, so I was good.  I felt a bit brave too.  It wasn't like going to Bible study, where I know everyone.  It wasn't even like going to the hospital or the doctor.  I was by myself, just sitting there, while strangers walked past.  I am sure I got a few looks, and probably some unheard comments.  However, I went shopping with my electric wheelchair.

I was very glad to be home and put my feet up.  But, I did something I have never done before.  Yes!  It was all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment