Thursday, August 14, 2014

Taxi Please!

A couple of days ago, I wrote about role reversal and not driving so much anymore.  When Steven goes to college, I won't even have a car.  Since walking or riding a bicycle isn't an option, it was time to start transitioning to another mode of transportation.

For the last couple of years, since my shoulders have started to bother me, I have avoided going places alone.  Since I have to use the manual wheelchair, away from home, it means pulling it over my lap.  It isn't usually very hard to deposit it into the passenger seat.  I basically just roll the wheels over my lap, with the seat in the recline position.  But, when I get where I am going, it still means using my arms to roll along.  It doesn't take long, before my shoulders are complaining.

So, even though we can share the car for the next couple of years, I have started calling the Senior Center.  For only $2 one-way, they will pick up seniors or the disabled.  (Actually, they will pick up anyone.  But, "regular" people have to pay more.) As long as clients can live with the rules, it is a good deal.


  1. Call  at least 24 hours in advance
  2. Be flexible. Their schedule might already be full.  So, if it is a doctor's appointment, or something you cannot miss, schedule ASAP.
  3. Grocery shopping is limited to two bags. So, if you need more, call a friend.
  4. Weekends, you are on your own.
I have already used them to go for doctor's appointments and to attend a ladies Bible class.  I haven't called them to go shopping, yet.  But, I will.  When I live alone, the two bag limit shouldn't be a big deal.  I will just need to plan ahead. Since you can order groceries online now, it will only be for items like milk, eggs, etc.

In short, it will work out calling for a taxi.  Plus, I can use my electric wheelchair, which helps a lot. It kinda makes me want to hitch a ride to Wal-Mart, just so I can buzz around.

At least I won't have to worry about car payments, gassing the car, repairs, and insurance.  My only concern is getting to/from church.  But, for now, I still have my chauffeur.

No comments:

Post a Comment